Holy cow! I love this book!! Lysa Terkeurst has opened up her heart and her story to everyone in It’s Not Supposed To Be This Way.
This is not just a story for the person who’s life is spiraling out of control. It’s not for the woman wondering WHY. It is for you. It was for me. It can speak to any heart open to hear a message from the Lord!!
I loved this book! I am reading it with a small group of friends and we meet to talk about each chapter. I have a habit of not finishing books when we go through them slowly though, so I just read this one until I was done. I loved each and every chapter. I underlined so many lines – sometimes I felt like underlining the whole page.
One of my favorite things about this book is the format. After each chapter Lysa puts together a discussion section, perfect for a group, or for an individual to dig into more meat. I loved this little section. It helped summarize the points of the chapter as well as gave a few questions to ponder.
One main point that really resonated with me was from chapter 1 : struggling with the distance between what I thought would be and what it is. There are so many areas in my life that I thought would be one way, and sometimes I struggle with it not being that way. She articulates this so well, and demonstrates that we need to run to Jesus when we struggle with this and rest in knowing His best is better for us than our idea of best.
The other main point, also from Chapter 1 was “if the enemy can isolate us he can influence us.” Such an important reminder to have people in your life that you can be open and vulnerable with. That when we feel alone we need to know we are not, and go to those people we trust and share our struggle. When we allow ourselves to be isolated the enemy can be the loudest voice in our head, and that is dangerous!!
This is my favorite book by Lysa Terkeurst, and one of my favorite life-devotion books. This book is one that if I could buy a hundred copies I would give everyone I run into one!
MORE ABOUT THE BOOK :
What do you do when God’s timing seems questionable, His lack of intervention hurtful, and His promises doubtful? Life often looks so very different than we hoped or expected. Some events may simply catch us off guard for a moment, but others shatter us completely. We feel disappointed and disillusioned, and we quietly start to wonder about the reality of God’s goodness. Lysa TerKeurst understands this deeply. But she’s also discovered that our disappointments can be the divine appointments our souls need to radically encounter God. In It’s Not Supposed to Be This Way, Lysa invites us into her own journey of faith and, with grit, vulnerability and honest humor, helps us to:
- Stop being pulled into the anxiety of disappointment by discovering how to better process unmet expectations and other painful situations.
- Train ourselves to recognize the three strategies of the enemy so we can stand strong and persevere through unsettling relationships and uncertain outcomes.
- Discover the secret of being steadfast and not panicking when God actually does give us more than we can handle.
- Shift our suspicion that God is cruel or unfair to the biblical assurance that God is protecting and preparing us.
- Know how to encourage a friend and help her navigate hard realities with real help from God’s truth.Whether we’re dealing with daily disappointments or life-altering loss, we can find unexpected strength as we learn what it is to wrestle well between our faith and our feelings.